Saturday, January 01, 2011

What a Life!

I feel a need to talk about my life up to now. Maybe my kids or grandkids will read it one day and know how Mom's and Grandma's life evolved.

I was sixteen. So dumb...so discombobulated. I hadn't the faintest idea what I wanted to do..what I wanted to "be." But (and I relate these things with tongue in cheek) I tried everything! I loved to sing...with a voice that "copied" more than being original (and the voice wasn't that great either). However, "pursuing" I went...finding a band that would let me sing with them. This "desire" lasted through one show. Nope, I didn't want to sing. "I think I want to be a model" was my next "want to be." Evidently, I either had a great deal of confidence in myself or I was full of moxie. I began modeling - which didn't last. Well, why don't I be an airline stewardness...why not? I got as far as practically being hired until he asked if I had any partials...I did. "I'd send you to Atlanta for training if I thought you could get through," he said. Thank you, God, for his not sending me...I would have been scared out of my wits!

I was getting on in age toward 20...still discombobulated. I got a job as a typist even though my highest score was 25 wpm. (He said he didn't know why he was hiring me). I watched...I listened...and noticed the secretaries wearing pretty clothes. I taught myself to type a bit better and climbed the ladder to some very good secretarial jobs...secretary to a City Manager, a Director in a Cancer Hospital, a secretary to a Hospital Administrator, a secretary to a very rich attorney. In the meantime, I married, having four children...four wonderful children. But I continued my secretarial jobs...in a Presidential Campaign. At 69, after a while at home, I interviewed for another secretarial job for an attorney. Never thinking I'd get it, I got it. And here I am at 77, a secretary, a mom and a grandmother. Oh, I forgot my most fulfilling pursuit...writing a book. I sat down and wrote a book - it was even published. I'm writing another one, but hate the thought of marketing it if I did get it published.

I'm getting that itchy feeling to move on with my life and do something different. In this blog, I suppose I'm telling my grandchildren to get their heads screwed on right while they're young...well, maybe I'm telling them that, but maybe I'm also saying a little discombobulation makes life interesting...at least it was for me. Let's see...I haven't jumped out of a plane....yet.

1 Comments:

Blogger uncensoRed said...

that is a life! i'm 25 this year and not so sure where i'm headed but i am going somewhere and not knowing is half the fun.
its comforting to know perhaps there's hope for me as well

June 4, 2012 at 6:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home