Monday, November 29, 2010

I See You

My darling son, although you're gone, I see you everywhere. A blinking star reminds me you are there, perhaps winking at me, saying, "It's okay, Mom; I'm okay. A cloud comes into view and in my eye it is a vision of you, on somedays strumming your guitar; on others only floating in happiness. A young man passes by; he is wearing a stained, ragged ballcap, wearing a worn jacket like the one you got from the army store.

You are in my kitchen, sitting at the computer, so engrossed you don't hear me say "I love you, and I miss you so much." You're coming in the back door, a sheepish look on your face. You hand me a Three Muskateer, my favorite candy bar.

"You want milk, Mom?" you ask when I prepare our plates to take to the livingroom to eat and watch "Cash Cab," together.

You will never be far away. I see you everywhere.

2 Comments:

Blogger aileen said...

It made me smile to see a post from you.
aileen bennett.

November 29, 2010 at 12:12 PM  
Blogger Robert E. Ridings said...

Everytime a young man said "Mom" in a store I would turn around to see if it was Kelly. Every time I saw a blond haired mustached "surfer" type I would wait 'til he turned toward me & be disappointed each time. It doesn't stop. It's been 20 years ago tonight when I took the phone call & I can still hear every word of it. I saw him in my dreams for a long, long time. He was always at the beach sitting on one of the picnic tables. I haven't had that dream in a long time. I think it's because I know he's OK.

December 6, 2010 at 9:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home