Sunday, November 28, 2004

About Me

I've discovered Blogger! I am older than God...but decided in my "Youth, Part II," to become a writer, and will soon exchange the word "writer" for "author." Let me explain....When I was ten years old, I received a book, entitled, Pollyanna, for Christmas. Way back "then," at least in our family, we received one gift and an orange or apple. I was absolutely delighted with a book of my very own. I smelled it, I held it to my heart...and then, I read it, over and over and over. At that time, I declared I was going to be a writer. I grew up, married, had a family, and had very little time to write, if you don't count the creative excuses I wrote for my children when they were absent from school. "Please, Mom," they would beg, "just say I was sick; don't write a two-page summary about my throwing up six times." When at last they were all in school, I struck out to the local newspaper with articles entitled, Life, Love and Laughter. Erma Bombeck beat me to the top, but my children supplied the fodder to my long-running column in several newspapers.

Over the years, I carried the story of "Annie" around in my head. In 2003, I bought my first computer. After learning to turn it on, and convincing myself there was not a little man behind the glass censoring every key I hit, I began writing my book, The Story of Annie Chase. "Now, I'll have it published," I said naively to myself. After many rejection slips, I almost gave Annie to the garbage heap. One last try brought success (you see, you should never stop trying). It will now be published sometime next year. Please read about it at www.behlerpublications.com/authors. It will be under Author Titles, scroll down - down a little more - there, there it is! It's a book about friendship, loyalty, a secret and Washington, D.C. Thanks!

5 Comments:

Blogger Jewel Allen said...

Congratulations on winning the Family Circle short story contest, and also for your book being slated for publication. Well deserved honor!!

I enjoyed your offbeat story about Derrick :-).

February 15, 2009 at 8:39 AM  
Blogger chris said...

congrats on the Family Circle story contest.. I enjoyed your story and as a North Carolina country girl I can totally relate all too well.. I still chuckle about the mayo.. my husband overkills hotdogs with it too! LOL.. i also noticed that you live in Oak Ridge TN.. all of my dad's people are from or live in Oliver Springs TN so I am familiar with you area.. thanks again for the great story..

March 15, 2009 at 10:11 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

I just wanted to say you give me hope. Mothers don't have to give up their dreams and you just proved it. Good for you! Congrats on the Family Circle contest. Such a great short story, I loved it.

March 24, 2009 at 9:30 PM  
Blogger aylasgram said...

Finally finished reading the March Family Circle. Way to GO! Loved your story and loved the characters. Of course it was complete as it was, but I still want MORE! Please!

April 14, 2009 at 11:41 AM  
Blogger Stephanie Austin Long said...

Is this fate or luck or what? A co-worker brought in old magazines for us to read at lunch. I picked up the Family Circle for the muffin recipes and there you were!!! Thank you for being "there". I may be leaving my job and I fancy myself a writer but I am a committed procrastinator. Now I feel there is hope for me yet! God lead me to you! Congratulations on winning the contest! I am going to request your book for Christmas.

December 10, 2009 at 9:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home